Click to Home
Go To Search
Fire Department
San Jose Home
Contact Us
If you cannot use the online form:

Call 3-1-1 or 408-535-5600
Note: In San José, 311 service is not available from all cell phones.

For emergencies or to report a crime in progress in San José:
Call 9-1-1 or (408) 277-8911

Fireworks Are Illegal
All types of fireworks are illegal in San José

Fireworks are classified as explosives and have caused loss of hands, eyesight, and have even been fatal. Fireworks have caused many fires and costly property damage. Fireworks use is frightening to many pets as well as wildlife, and the peak loss of pets during the year occurs over the 4th of July.  Fireworks are also toxic pollutants both to air and water. You can help create a safer, healthier community by enjoying fireworks only at permitted public displays and by not using fireworks in your neighborhood.

All types of fireworks are banned in San José and most of Santa Clara County, including: large bottle rockets, roman candles, firecrackers, and sparklers. Sparklers can reach over 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit and account for most fireworks-related injuries to children ages 5 and under.

San José Municipal Code 10.17.100 states that except for professional, permitted displays, it is unlawful for any person to possess, store, offer or expose for sale, or use or explode any fireworks.

Penalties. The fines for using fireworks are:

  • $500 for a first violation
  • $700 for a second violation
  • $1,000 for a third violation
  • The sale of fireworks may result in a fine up to $50,000 plus jail time, depending on quantity.

    Use the online Fireworks Reporting Form to report fireworks

    Our online reporting form serves to map where fireworks are being used and, with accurate information, may result in the issuance of citations to fireworks users. Using the form will not result in enforcement officers being immediately dispatched to the scene. It should not be used to report an emergency. Always call 9-1-1 to report an emergency.


    When is the Fireworks Reporting Form available? The form to report illegal fireworks use is open only during the peak times of fireworks use:

    • Lunar New Year period: February 1 - 18, 2018
    • July 4 period: June 1 - July 8, 2018
    • New Year’s Eve period: mid-December 2018 - early January 2019

    Will using the form result in a citation to the fireworks user? By providing accurate and complete information, the City may be able to issue administrative citations or warning letters to users of illegal fireworks. You will need to provide the following information:

    For fireworks use on private property (yards or driveways)
    - Photo/video evidence showing use or possession of fireworks on the property;
    - The exact address where the incident occurred; and
    - Your contact information (“Reporting Party” contact information on the form).

    For fireworks use on public property (sidewalks, streets, parks, schools, etc.)
    In addition to the above, you must provide the first and last name of the fireworks user.

    Will my contact information be kept confidential? Your contact information will be kept confidential. Please note that a citation issued based on your report can be contested. If a hearing is held to contest the citation, you will be asked to either appear as a witness or provide sufficient evidence. If you do not want your information to be disclosed, you may choose not to appear as a witness. Choosing not to appear will affect the City’s ability to uphold the citation.

    Can I submit information anonymously? Yes, you can submit information anonymously or provide only an approximate address, but no citation will be issued from such reports. This information will be used only to map where fireworks use is generally occurring, and may be helpful with future outreach and enforcement patrol purposes.

    How do I get a permit to host a professional and legal fireworks display? For information about obtaining a fireworks display permit, please call the City’s Bureau of Fire Prevention at 408-535-7750. Celebrations using fireworks must have a licensed pyro-technician onsite with appropriate credentials and permits. 



    The form for reporting fireworks use is now closed.

    Thank you for your participation.