Click to Home
Go To Search
Planning Building and Code Enforcement
San Jose Home
Building Division
The Building Division oversees private construction to ensure safe buildings and to facilitate the City's economic development objectives. We accomplish this by ensuring compliance with building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, zoning, engineering, energy, and accessibility codes and laws.

Our bulletin How to Get a Building Permit provides an overview of the steps to getting a permit and helps you select the right service for your project. Visit our Permit Center web page for an overview of all permit services and hours of service. 

Got Questions?
Building Information Inspector - For questions regarding building permits, codes, inspections or plan review, leave us a message and we'll respond within two business days: 
     Voicemail: 408-535-7641

Planning, Zoning, Signs, Trees Ordinance Questions - Call 408-535-3555 - Ask to speak with a planner, who can answer your questions regarding ADUs, signs, tree removal, development and use permits, and other Planning Division procedures. Learn more at

New Rules for ADUs (Granny Units) Go Into Effect July 27, 2018

San José is making it easier for more lots to qualify for an ADU, and has eased development requirements. Learn about ADUs and the new rules, which go into effect on July 27, at

EarthquakePresentationStrengthening Your Home Against Earthquake Damage - If you want to learn more about how to strengthen a home against earthquake damage, view this expert presentation here.

Building Department of the Year Award - The California Building Officials (CALBO) association has honored the San José Building Division with it's 2017-2018 Building Department of the Year award.  Learn more at our Awards page at

Building Division Conducts Wastewater Plan Checks for Food Facilities 
We now conduct Wastewater Plan Checks for San José food facility projects as part of the building permit plan review process. Environmental Services Department staff will continue to review projects for non-food facilities, such as industrial wastewater discharges. Non-food facilities should contact the Environmental Services Department at (408) 945-3000. See the flyer for more information on how to submit wastewater plans.

Customer Feedback


San Jose Eplans